Last Updated: March 17th, 2021|Categories: Guideline, Helper|Tags: |

Do helpers need to go through training in the Philippines before working in Hong Kong?

If you are hiring a domestic helper who is working in Hong Kong for the first time, the domestic helper will need to fulfil the Philippine requirement for skills certification, and receive the “Domestic Work NCII” certificate. This is a certification regulated by the Philippine Government’s technical skills body, TESDA.

The certificate is valid for 5 years. If a domestic helper has worked in Hong Kong previously and their “Domestic Work NCII” is valid, she does not need to go through training again. If the certificate has expired, the certificate can be renewed.

Special arrangement under COVID-19

With the impact of COVID-19, the Philippine Government has made another option for this requirement.

If the domestic helper has experience working in another country (eg. Singapore, Qatar) as a domestic helper, they may go to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) office to request their “OFW Info Sheet” which shows their previous experience abroad and will fulfil the training requirement. This is a temporary option allowed between September 29, 2020 to December 31, 2020. Applications should be submitted to the TESDA Certification Office through its email address, Read more HERE.  

To get Domestic Work NC2 Assessment before attending a Training

The Philippine is temporarily allowing domestic helpers who can show proof that they already have an employer (could be either OEC, deployment letter, contract or job order issued by the recruitment agency), to go directly to be Assessed for the NC2 certification.

TESDA is offering free assessments. Domestic helpers can register online for the assessment. However, there may be a longer waiting period 

Another option is to visit an assessment centre directly. Domestic helpers can reach out to their closest TESDA regional office to find an assessment centre. Here is the directory or regional TESDA offices. Contact assessment centres directly about any costs for the assessment and certification. The assessment fee is usually around 745 peso.  

To attend a Training Centre

Attending a training centre is important to help pass the”Domestic Work NCII” exam. Training is not a mandatory requirement, so technically domestic helpers can directly go get their assessment. If they fail the assessment, they will be allowed to reassessed. If considering training, the domestic helper should be able to choose the training centre. Generally Training fees should be around 3,000 to 5,000 pesos

Here is a list of accredited training centres.

Share this post now!